Wednesday, July 13, 2016

by Adriel Ruben with Translations by Miles Boucher

Our first attempt at a literal translation:

Don’t come back to me (A)
Don’t tell me those angry words (B)
I don’t swallow this face of yours (B)
Face that lies to me (visage?) (A)

Go, go tell every one that I am foolish/a fool,
Go and take advantage (bem=really enjoy) of your exaggeration!
It is in your mistakes/error wherein lies my solace,;
(From) In Your fall (verb(reflects))--the Face of Despair (shows).

Go and keep your infantile/childish journey.
Go and try to free yourself (reflexive) from your kharma/lot in life/destiny/fortune/fate!
With this attitude/behavior you become more evil/vile/mean/nasty,
And your arrogance refines itself (reflexive);

Go and keep with those confrontation*/affronting/insulting/outrageous words -
I will be stronger at the end of this road/journey,
Because it is for yourself that you make ready your grave*/pit/hole/burrow
Every day smaller, your road becomes.

Go and get satiated with your injustice!
Go and show why I am still alive.
It’s in your laugh that poke/tease/incite/provoke/induce my anger/ire
And the anger/revenge my life’s only motif/ motivation/motivator/reason…

Go and cry/sing? your sorrows,
Go and taste/savor your fallen/bankruptcy/collapse/crash/fall-ure.
And Slowly/bit by bit/Little by little you die in your own tears,
You make your death my only reward.

Already there are a lot of interesting problems to solve.
The first stanza, we looked at a pretty quick translation and then how the rhyme scheme was going to have to syn up.
In stanzas two and three, we got into some nitty gritty on what word was most important in the stanza to give the sense of the line.
For example: in the third line, solace was better than the other word--consolation--and therefore, the rest of the stanza has to rhyme with solace.
The rest were hard and fast not worrying so much about specifics, but creating vocabulary from which to pull in order to fill in the lines or complete the rhyme scheme and keep the sense of the words.
Whoo!
This was a surprisingly fun first draft and already so many problems to work through.
I'm very excited for this project and hope I can do it justice.
This may just be the first, which is scary, and exhilarating.

No comments:

Post a Comment