Tuesday, July 19, 2016

by Adriel Ruben, Translation by Miles Boucher Try the Second

(Go), do not come back to me,
Do not tell me those “angry words”.
I do not accept this face of yours;
This face that lies to me.

Go, go say that I’m a fool so everybody knows,
Go and really enjoy all of your malice!
In your mistakes lies my solace;
In your Fall—the Face of Despair shows.

Go and keep your childish journey to yourself.
Go and try to free yourself from your destiny!
With it you become more evil, nasty,
And your arrogance refines itself.

Go and keep with those outrageous words longer-
I will be stronger at the end of this journey, I swear,
Because it’s your own grave that you prepare,
Each and every day your road becomes smaller.

Go, be sated with your devastation!
Go and show why I still survive.
It’s in your laugh, from which my anger derives,
And revenge--my life’s motivation…

Go and sing your sorrows, my ward,
Go and savor your fall-ure, my dear.
And slowly, bit by bit, you die in your tears,
You make your death my only reward.

So this one was really hard because it is where my poetry is weakest at the moment: 
RHYME. 
Rhyme is bloody hard guys.
But, it is the very quintessence of poetry.
So I decided to start with a literal translation and then move to the rhyme.
It was difficult, but mostly trying to find what would rhyme with what and where.
Because I have to keep the rhyme scheme, but also the original translation without departing too far from the original.
I can add words here and there, but eventually it is becoming its own poem rather than what was originally there.
But, Adriel and I worked for so long to find the right word in English that certain words have to rhyme with that one word (solace!)
Next up? Metre and syntax.
Those I feel much more comfortable with. 
We'll see though if the rhyme scheme stays the same as I start mismatching words and things.

No comments:

Post a Comment