Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The sound of screaming fills the day

The sound of screaming fills the day
As a hundred thousand million stars
Explode
like shattered dreams
Crossing
the waking world.

Feel the earth
turning away,
Turning, turning, turning, turning
Into a clamoring mourning.

Keening starts
not in the diaphragm
or in the blood
or in the marrow,
but in the soul.

It reaches down
Down to the root
The root of roots--
Our heart of hearts
and thrumming there
Thrumming
the thread it finds;

It starts in low,
then it starts to grow.

A twinkle
in your eye
as the adage goes;
A penny
For your thoughts
as the saying goes
I’ll pay and pay and pay and pay
For what you hold
Inside your hold
What I wouldn’t give
Just to hold--
Oh no.

Too young, too young, too young, too young
to die:
A girl
who never was,
and never shall
Thanks
to you and yours--
Their silent, happy apathy
is deafening
to those with hearts to hear,

I cannot hold
this broken crust
of a world
and slip,
Slip away
from me
and my hard-won joys.

The lights are on,
but no one’s in the shop’
I polish stools and tables
for you and yours.
Awaiting the day
when the stars come out
And we can all laugh about it now,
Can’t we?
Won’t we?
Will we?
Shall we?
Could we?
Should we?
I know, I know, I know, I know,

“No one will ever love a quitter.”
Shameful to be
what you were always meant to hate
isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment